You are here: HOME › How to write a thank you speech › Thank you quotations
By: Susan Dugdale Last modified: 03-20-2019 First published: 01-01-2009
These thank you quotes come from many sources.
It's my hope you'll find the collection useful for picking out a special phrase, or two, to include in either a note or a speech.
I've found a quotation is a great alternative to a long string of: "Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you ..." which becomes tediously boring to listen to, or read, especially if you have a long list of people to acknowledge. After all any word said over, and over again, tends to lose its initial impact and meaning!
A well-chosen quotation will help keep your thanks interesting to listen to, as well as meaningful for the first, and last person, on your list.
Below the quotes, near the bottom of the page, you'll find an example showing how to work one neatly into your text.
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you.
John E. Southard
I can no other answer make but, thanks, and thanks.
William Shakespeare (Twelfth Night)
Thank you, dear God, for this good life and forgive us if we do not love it enough. Thank you for the rain. And for the chance to wake up in three hours and go fishing: I thank you for that now, because I won’t feel so thankful then. - Garrison Keillor
Silent gratitude isn't much use to anyone.
One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind.
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
We cannot do great things on this Earth, only small things with great love.
As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, "thank you," that would suffice.
I thank you God for this most amazing day, for the leaping greenly spirits of trees, and for the blue dream of sky and for everything which is natural, which is infinite, which is yes. - e. e. cummings
Hem your blessings with thankfulness so they don't unravel.
The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude.
The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.
Are you sweating over a business or professional thank you speech? One thanking your colleagues for a job well done?
Here's a cracker (a good one) to use as a template. It's utterly adaptable. Takes bits out, flick bits in ... until you have it sorted.
Get to it: business thank you speech.
Saying “thank you” creates love.
Daphne Rose Kingma
No duty is more urgent than that of returning thanks.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. - Albert Schweitzer
Saying thank you is more than good manners. It is good spirituality.
Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.
Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.
The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.
Appreciation can make a day, even change a life. Your willingness to put it into words is all that is necessary.
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. You made a difference. Thank-you so much.
He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.
It is impossible to feel grateful and depressed in the same moment.
The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation.
Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.
The best kind of giving is thanksgiving.
Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.
William Arthur Ward
Gratitude creates the most wonderful feeling. It can resolve disputes. It can strengthen friendships. And it makes us better men and women.
Gordon B. Hinckley
Give thanks for a little and you will find a lot.
Hausa proverb (Nigeria)
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.
Appreciate everything your associates do for the business. Nothing else can quite substitute for a few well-chosen, well-timed, sincere words of praise. They're absolutely free and worth a fortune. - Sam Walton
The cheapest gift I have to give is kindness, and it is the best.
God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today.
Have you used one to say ‘thank you?’
William Arthur Ward
Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed.
I’m thankful for my struggle because without it I wouldn’t have stumbled across my strength.
Just a 'thank you' is a mighty powerful prayer. Says it all.
Obviously you can either use the quotes as they are, or adapt them to suit your purpose!
However, whatever you choose to do with them do acknowledge the person whose words you're using.
Most of these quotations are well known. If you don't use the person's name people may think you're trying to pass their words off as your own. That could be awkward, embarrassing or even damaging for you.
Here's quote number 5 integrated into part of a "thank you" speech to illustrate. I've used it as the reason leading to thanking three people for their support.
"The English writer G.B. Stern said "Silent gratitude isn't much use to anyone" and I agree with her.
I want to shout my thanks out loud. I want everyone to know and hear how much the support of Tom, Brad and Harry means to me. But more than that, I want them to know.
Tom you were there for me 200%. You shared your expertise and time unstintingly.
Brad, we've been mates since kindergarten. You give me that rare combination of loyalty, humor and honesty. You keep me on track, laughing and true - a real friend.
Harry, you're a marvel. Patient and practical. You listen, you understand and find solutions where others would only see problems."
Do you need a hand to write your appreciation speech?
Here's help on how to prepare a general appreciation thank you speech. You'll find guidance, a template and an example speech. The information here is adaptable. Use it to say thank you for an award, a party, a promotion ...
And here's the link to that very flexible business thank you speech template mentioned above.
You don't have to give a big speech or write a long thank you letter to let someone know you appreciate them. Sometimes short is sweet.
People always appreciate it when you take the time to thank them for a gift, especially if they didn't get to see you open it, as with wedding gifts.
For someone who has been there for you or encouraged you a message of gratitude is very much appreciated.
To help keep things positive in the workplace a few words of thanks or support can go a long way to making employees feel appreciated.
If you want to add to these examples of words of appreciation to craft a longer thank you, you can read more Words of Appreciation offering quotes and thoughtful messages.
YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2018 by LoveToKnow Corp
Link to this page
Cite this page
"Examples of Words of Appreciation." YourDictionary. LoveToKnow. examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-words-of-appreciation.html.
Examples of Words of Appreciation. (n.d.). In YourDictionary. Retrieved from https://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-words-of-appreciation.html
“If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough. Sometimes, a simple word of encouragement is all it takes to get us going.
Do you believe our society is more selfish than ever before? Do people feel more entitled than ever before? Are, these days more people forgetting to say “thank you” than ever before?
To be honest, I don’t know the answer to any of those questions because I live now and I don’t know what was before me.
What I do know is that most people love to have the opportunity and the reason to say “thank you”.
Discover in this article, 75 of the most inspirational “thank you” quotes so that never happens to you do not know how to show your appreciation.
I guess “thank you” was introduced in the human language close to our beginnings because every time we say it, we feel good: Who’s saying it feels good; who is receiving it also feels good.
There are many reasons why we sometimes fail to say these magic words “thank you”. Among those reasons, the following five seem to be the less obvious.
People are afraid that:
Inspire yourself from these 75 “thank you” quotes and never lose amazing opportunities to bring closer to you the people that make your life more enjoyable and happy.
“Thank you” quotes and notes are like flowers; given with pleasure, received with an open heart. Remind yourself that, like flowers, your thank you(s) bear seeds which give life to many fantastic things. Beyond any Horizon, at the end of it, it’s you.
So, thank you for taking the time to read this article and now let’s move to the 75 most inspirational “thank you” quotes. Get inspired, make your life better, deepen your connections, improve your relationships.
1. Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses. – Confucius
2. I was complaining that I had no shoes till I met a man who had no feet. – Confucius
3. Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
4. We must find time to stop and thank the people who make a difference in our lives. – John F. Kennedy
5. Thank you is the priceless gift.
6. Humor is mankind’s greatest blessing. – Mark Twain
7. Thanks for being the shoulder I can always depend on.
8. He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has. – Epictetus
9. Thank God for what you have. Trust God for what you need.
10. A sense of blessedness comes from a change of heart, not from more blessings. – Mason Cooley
11. No matter how good or bad you think life is, wake up each day and be thankful for life.
12. An early-morning walk is a blessing for the whole day. – Henry David Thoreau
13. When you’re thankful for what you have, you are always rewarded with more.
14. Saying thank you is more than good manners. It is good spirituality. – Alfred Painter
15. Always give without remembering and always receive without forgetting.
16. No duty is more urgent than that of returning thanks. – James Allen
17. It is not happy people who are thankful, it is thankful people who are happy.
18. The deepest craving of human nature is the need to be appreciated. – William James
19. Don’t pray when it rains if you don’t pray when the sun shines. – Leroy Satchel Paige
20. True forgiveness is when you can say, “Thank you for that experience”. – Oprah Winfrey
21. As you breathe right now, another person takes their last. Learn to be content with what you have.
22. The best way to pay for a lovely moment is to enjoy it. – Richard Bach
23. Friends are always there for us that is why we should say thank you to them for everything that they have done for us.
24. Thank you for being my heart’s first home.
25. The more you thank life, the more life gives you something to be thankful for.
26. True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future, not to amuse ourselves with either hopes or fears but to rest satisfied with what we have, which is sufficient, for he that is so wants nothing. – Seneca
27. If we don’t feel grateful for what we already have, what makes us think we will be happy with more.
28. Thank you, God for not giving up on me.
29. I’m thankful for my struggle because without it I wouldn’t have stumbled across my strength. – Alex Elle
30. Thank you for coming into my life. Thank you for making me smile like crazy. Thank you for making me happy.
31. Being told you’re appreciated is one of the simplest and most uplifting things you can hear.
32. Thank you for making me laugh when I’d almost forgotten how to.
33. Start each day with a thankful heart.
34. Since our yesterdays are gone and our tomorrows are never promised, today I want to thank all my amazing friends and family for being in my life.
35. I’m thankful for all those difficult people in my life, they have shown me exactly who I do not want to be.
36. When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed. – Maya Angelou
37. We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures. – Thornton Wilder
38. The greatest blessings of mankind are within us and within our reach. A wise man is content with his lot, whatever it may be, without wishing for what he has not. – Seneca
39. By giving more to others, you will discover that you have more for yourself.
40. I thought I was all alone, I felt like I had no one, and then you walked into my life. Thank you for always being there.
41. Be thankful for the bad things in life, for they open your eyes to the good things.
42. Nothing is more honorable than a grateful heart. – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
43. Thank you for the beautiful ways you touch my life.
44. You cant’s force people to stay in your life. Staying is a choice, so be thankful for those people who choose you.
45. I am currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
46. We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorns have roses. – Alphonse Karr
47. Rejoice always. Pray continually. Give thanks in all circumstances.
48. Stop now. Enjoy the moment. It’s now or never. – Maxime Lagacé
49. Dear Past, thank you for all the life lessons you have taught me.
50. ‘Thank you’ is the least I can say to you to show my appreciation for everything you have done for me.
51. Give thanks for a little and you will find a lot. – Hausa Proverb
52. When life was tough on me and I was alone… You came in and guided me through the ups and downs. Thank you so much!
53. I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
54. Thank you for brightening my world.
55. I would thank you from the bottom of my heart, but for you, my heart has no bottom.
56. As long as this exists, this sunshine and this cloudless sky, and as long as I can enjoy it, how can I be sad? – Anne Frank
57. Today, take time to thank the people that have done you wrong. Without knowing it, they have made you stronger.
58. If a fellow isn’t thankful for what he’s got, he isn’t likely to be thankful for what he’s going to get. – Frank A. Clark
59. The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you. – John E. Southard
60. Hearing the words ‘thank you’ can sometimes paint the prettiest smile on someone’s lips.
61. Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
62. I may not have everything I want in life but I’m blessed enough to have all that I need!
63. Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. – Marcel Proust
64. Some people make the world special just by being in it. Thanks for being my friend.
65. The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention. – Oscar Wilde
66. Thank you are the two easiest words in any language to say, but in today’s society they are a forgotten commodity.
67. A grateful heart is a magnet for miracles.
68. Hardship is a blessing when it spurs effort and development; ease is a curse when it increases complacency and self-indulgence. – Muso Kokushi
69. Unselfish and noble actions are the most radiant pages in the biography of souls. – David Thomas
70. Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us all be thankful. – Buddha
71. Upon waking, let your first thought be: Thank You.
72. One day you will thank yourself for never giving up.
73. A sincere word of thanks is nothing but an extension of a generous self.
74. This a wonderful day. I’ve never seen this one before. – Maya Angelou
75. If the only prayer you said in your whole life was “thank you” that would suffice. – Meister Eckhart
*Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I cannot possibly say that enough. Thank you for making my labor as easy and comfortable for me as you possibly could. Your encouragement throughout the whole process was truly amazing! I (literally) couldn't have done it without you wonderful ladies. Your consistent check in's in that first week were so lovely and made me feel safe knowing our boy was in good hands. 04/2017
* I just wanted to thank you all so much for the wonderful care you've given the baby and I in the last 10 months:) I have truly loved my pregnancy experience....I can't wait to do it again!! Thank you again from the bottom of our hearts! 04/2017
* Thank you from the bottom of my heart for arriving when you did to the birth of our baby girl. You brought with you the strength, comfort, courage and support that I so desperatly needed at that time and I will never forget it. I swore I'd never have another but if I do we hope you will be by our side. PS: The bath tub was amazing! 02/2017
* I can't even put my gratitude into words-thank you so much for all that you did for us during the labour & delivery of our beautiful boy. Your experience and patience really helped me to feel at ease (even if I didn't seem at ease!) during the birth. Most of all, it was so great to have your support for the postpartum period. I appreciated those visits so much in our first few days together. Thank you so much-we're so glad to have shared our last pregnancy and birth with you! 09/2016
* I would like to thank you very much for providing us with a wonderful experience leading up to, during and after the birth of our baby girl. 09/2016
* We want to thank you so very much for all your support, dedication and encouragement throughout our pregnancy and baby's birth. We felt so confident in your care and appreciate all your help. 10/2015
* To all the wonderful staff at Kawatha Community Midwives. You have supported us through quite the amazing journey over the past months. Thank you so much for all that you do! It wouldn't be the same without you. 12/2015
* There is not enough words to express how truly thankful I am to have you as my midwife for both my beautiful babes. You are truly an amazing women & midwife. You were always there for me when needed and did everything you could to make both my pregnancies go as smooth and safe as possible. You listened to my needs and helped in every way to ensure two beautiful girls were born natural, healthy and safely. Thank you so very much for everything that you do. I appreciate it more than you will ever know! If by some crazy reason I do this again (I really want that boy LOL) I hope that I can have you back one final time. 06/2015
* We've reached the 6 week mark and it is time for us to venture on without your wonderful guidance. I wish it weren't so! Thank you so much for the wonderful care I, and then we, received pre-birth, at birth and post birth. You lead me through each stage with kindness, humour and understanding. I know I (we) were in very good hands. Thank you also for all the advice & encouragement postpartum with the baby-it really helped me feel empowered and confident as a new mum. I'll miss seeing you. 04/2015
*Thank you so much for everything you have done for the baby and I during my prenancy, labour, and after. I appreciate all of your support and care. It was a great experience getting to know you and sharing this important time with you. 01/2015
* Thank you so much for everything you have done throughout the past year in helping bring our beautiful baby boy into the world. Your expertise, endless amount of support, kindness, care, and compassion has been overwhelming. Words cannot express how grateful I am. I expecially want to express my most sincere appreciation ofr your empathy, patience and guidance in helping me emotionally. Your continual inquireies about how I was doing meant so much to me, and your encouraement and positive input that the baby and I were both doing well really lifted a load off my shoulders. It truly meant the world to me. You have such a gift for midwifery and I couldn't be more grateful to have had you as my midwife throughout this experience. You will always hold a special place in my heart. 01/2015
* We cannot express in words how thankful we are for the incredible care you have provided for our family, the support you have provided for us during this incredibly important time in our lives, and for being soo present. Seeing you all on a regular basis has been a joy for us. We are blessed to have had such a bright, compassionate, and knowledgeable team of professionals supporting and guiding us throughout our pregnancy, birth and post-partum. 10/2013
*There are not words to express our gratitude for your kind and thorough care of both my son and I. Our son's birth brought about a number of unique situations each of which you approached calmly and confidently which helped to put us at ease. Thank you for all that you did. Our birthing experience was beautiful because we knew we were in your hands. You will be a cherished part of our memories. 12/2012
Thank you quotes: 38 of the best quotations to help you say 'thank you' A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour.
“None is more impoverished than the one who has no gratitude. Gratitude is a currency that we can mint for ourselves, and spend without fear of bankruptcy.” — Fred De Witt Van Amburgh
“Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough.”— Oprah Winfrey
“The smallest thanks is always worth more than the effort it takes to give it” — Unknown
“Silent gratitude isn’t much to anyone.” — Gertrude Stein
“No one who achieves success does so without acknowledging the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude.”— Alfred North Whitehead
“If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily.”— Gerald Good
“Showing gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other.” — Randy Pausch
“When you practice gratefulness, there is a sense of respect toward others.”— Dalai Lama
“Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.”— William Arthur Ward
“Saying thanks costs nothing but gives everything.” — Unknown
“Appreciation can change a day, even change a life. Your willingness to put it into words is all that is necessary.” — Margaret Cousins
“You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
“Thank you is the best prayer that anyone could say. I say that one a lot. Thank you expresses extreme gratitude, humility, understanding.” — Alice Walker
If words could be hugs I would send you pages. a positive way words cannot express my appreciation, you are truly an inspiration. Thank you for your support and belief in me.
MunrisSeptember 19, 2019 10:37 AM
Thanks for the help in this question, I too consider, that the easier, the better �